FORUMS » Art Talk » Thomas Lee painting info please?

Main
  Art Talk
  go

[ Report abuse ]   [ Post your reply ]
My Grandmother has a 62 inch wide 50 inch from top to bottom framed artwork signed by Thomas Lee...does anyone know of this artist..it is a painting done in browns and sage greens of woven baskets and plants...I love it..would like to know more about the person who painted it..thanks
posted 10/30/2007 1:43:00 PM by Dorothy

Hi,

I also have a painting signed by Thomas Lee but cannot find out more about him. (Unless he is the well-known collector and philanthropist of that name.) It''s a painting of a fence on some sand dunes.

Have you learned anything about Thomas Lee?
E-mail: info@grandmaschristmasshop.com
posted 11/29/2007 6:26:00 PM by Nick

I also own a Thomas Lee 6 x 52 oil painting. It is a wharf scene in beige and brown with an orange boat tied up at the dock. I bought it at Art Van in Detroit, MI in 1975 for $300 on sale. I was told he was a very well known and popular artist at that time. I''m looking to find a value for it as I no longer have the room for it.
E-mail: bettybooprudy@yahoo.com
posted 12/1/2007 3:10:00 PM by Betty

Hi, I also have a very large (at least 4''x4'')framed oil painting by Thomas Lee. It is of a pretty dark haired lady with a basket of daisies standing in a daisy patch. Does anyone have any information about this painter. I think this was painted in the 70''s and was on display here in Montreal back then. Danny
E-mail: doloresgeraldi@sympatico.ca
posted 12/5/2007 10:10:00 PM by DannyB

Hi,

I was given a Thomas Lee painting by my mother a while back. I remember it as far back as when I was 10 years old. I am now turning 40. It was put in storage and forgot about. It brings back a lot of memories of our small 2 bedroom apt.The painting pretty much occupied a whole wall, I think it reminded Mom of home, A small fishing warf in the maritime''s. I would like to learn about the artist. Is he still alive and working, where is he from, etc.

If someone can help Thank You.
E-mail: Seethru@sympatico.ca
posted 1/16/2008 7:53:00 PM by Rick

I am trying to find out about the same painter,,,THOMAS LEE___
he also does the large cat painting,,,find out any thing????I would really like to hear about him...our canvas was done in the early 70''s..
E-mail: deeclark10@comcast.net
posted 1/26/2008 6:19:00 PM by Dee

Hello,I also have a Thomas Lee Painting that is 4x5ft in size,and it is of a beautiful persian cat.I was out with my sister last summer,and a gentleman was putting it out on the side of the road,we stopped and asked him if we could have it,and he said it was of no use to him and allowed us to have it.It is hanging in my livingroom,and when we have guests,they love it,as do i.It is in its original frame from the 1970s,and i have had people wanting to buy it,but havent been able to let it go----not yet anyway.I have researched over and over again and have come out empty handed.If anyone has ANY information please e-mail me,and i will do the same.If their is someone who is seriously interested in this remarkable work of art,and would truly take care of it,i might consider selling it.Thanks for taking the time to read this.BRU
E-mail: bpupo@cogeco.ca
posted 1/3/2009 3:39:00 PM by Brunella

I too have a Thomas Lee painting. 4 Alpine Ski Racers, one right behind another, through a Slalom course-like a photomontage. 48"x48" framed. Any ideas on is value (although I enjoy it on my wall)?
E-mail: pnflynski@sbcglobal.net
posted 8/30/2009 1:42:00 AM by Pat Northrop

I also have a Thomas Lee Painting. It is approx. 4ft x 5ft and has black and white flowers. I really love it, I found it in an antique store in Oklahoma. I would love to know more about the artist.
posted 12/9/2009 10:49:00 PM by Jess

i have a persian cat painting by Thoms Lee
E-mail: davedan45@yahoo.com
posted 2/18/2010 2:58:00 AM by Dave Marko

I also have a large painting signed by Thomas Lee. It is horses done in black and white. Cannot find ANY info. either
E-mail: jhok343@aol.com
posted 4/24/2010 9:45:00 PM by jford

We also have a Thomas Lee painting, approximately 4 ft x 4 ft of owls on pine branches in browns, white, black and orange. We bought it in the 70''s as we had an owl come down our chimney in the house and flapped his wings and left wing marks on the ceiling. We then were in a furniture store in Cambridge, Ontario and saw this picture of owls and just had to have it. Probably around $300. mark also. Cannot seem to find anything about the author. Thanks for listening. Mary
E-mail: mlemon44@gmail.com
posted 4/28/2010 7:20:00 PM by Mary

I also havew a picture by Thomas Lee, its a scene of waves in the ocean, it is 6 ft by 6 ft, I cant find anything on him either
posted 5/6/2010 1:54:00 AM by Me 2

I also have a large Thomas Lee painting of a white cat Really large 5 foot by 5 foot I need info
posted 7/21/2010 11:12:00 PM by Tom Sacco

I too have a Thomas Lee painting appears to be from the 70''s. It is very large on canvas and it is a picture of a bunch of horses. He only used white, black and grey to paint it. It is a fantastic painting. I bought it at an estate sale and it is not in the greatest shape but I love it and plan to get an estimate on the cost to have it repaired but I can''t find any information on Thomas Lee either. I would like to know more about him in order to determine if I should get it repaired if it turns out to be an expensive restoration.
E-mail: tami.andrus@yahoo.com
posted 8/19/2010 12:34:00 AM by Tami Andrus

I have a large painting of Thomas Lee, I believe it is a picture of the golden gate bridge left to me from my mother who purchased it from an expensive furniture store back in the 60''s. I would like to know what it is worth.
E-mail: ttkennels@embarqmail.com
posted 8/19/2010 11:11:00 AM by Joyce

I just left an open house near my home and saw the same painting. Funny thing is my sister has the same artwork except it is of a small terrier. It was the same artist, same canvas, and painting style. Did you ever find out anything on the artist. I''m trying to find info but I am coming up short.
E-mail: Msjasminealicea@gmail.com
posted 8/29/2010 7:04:00 PM by Jasmine

Dorothy, I also have the same or a like
type canvas by Thomas Lee, I got mine
in Bahrain about 1999, when I was moved by the from Kuwait, I love the picture but have tried for years to find out
something about the painter.
E-mail: tomhawkins2001@aol.com
posted 9/2/2010 5:15:00 AM by Thomas Hawkins

A friend has of mine has an oil painting ,4'' x4'' signed by Thomas Lee. It has 2 Owls on a Pine tree
E-mail: jdsal@frontier.com
posted 10/19/2010 9:06:00 PM by John O''Connor

My mother has the same or similar type of painting. It was a gift to her in Puerto Rico and has had it for around 25 years. I would really like to know who Thomas Lee is. Ever since I have been a child, I''ve wondered who he is.
E-mail: borinqueno1990@gmail.com
posted 12/11/2010 11:09:00 PM by Carlos

I have in my posession a painting done by Thomas Lee. It is a persion cat that my ex-husband gave me for my birthday about 25 years ago and am looking for info about this artist. Please e-mail me if you have information. This is a large painting about 6 feet long and five feet high
E-mail: rddb55@aol.com
posted 12/20/2010 8:50:00 PM by Deborah Chiappini

I also have a Thomas Lee Painting. It''s very pretty and it is a close up of a persian cat. The guy I got it from said it was from his Neighbour who was a painter in London, Ontario.

Not sure if that helps or if he misunderstood his neighbour.
posted 1/9/2011 4:03:00 PM by Laura

I''m glad to find this page. I have the large Persian cat painting by Thomas Lee. I got it from someone in 1979. He thought it was by a painter from Texas. I love it. No matter where you are in the room the cat’s beautiful green eyes appear to be looking at you.
E-mail: love2cats@msn.com
posted 1/11/2011 5:18:00 AM by love2cats

I also have a large Thomas Lee painting.

Painted on canvas
48" by 48"
5 yellow and orange flowers with brown stems on a yellow background with a large white sun and a huge orange and brown butterfly on the largest flower in the foreground. The butterfly has red shading on the tip of one wing.

It''s an absolutely beautiful painting and I have been trying to find something out about him for many, many years now, but have found nothing. I hope someone reads our posts and enlightens us about this talented artist.
posted 1/17/2011 8:15:00 PM by Vanessa B.

I have a 4'' x 6'' Thomas Lee painting in a very elaborate frame. I bought it in VA in 1996. There are some grapes and apples among some beautiful flowers. It looks like the arrangement is sitting on a table out on a patio. You can see a small statue, a wall and some trees in the background.
It amazes me that so many people have his art work and yet no one knows who he is.
E-mail: brenken49@yahoo.com
posted 1/18/2011 8:37:00 AM by Susan

I have been reading all of the inquiries on Thomas Lee and am amazed to hear people from all over the country are responing, from Ontario to Oklahoma !!!!
We also have a one, approx. 4x5 or 5x5 of a little girl with her back to you in a field (white puffs and yellow ground) with white doves all around her :) beautiful !! we live in Georgia, someone had it in storage, saw it and asked about it, frame was messed up and canvas was off to but not damaged, gave it to us ! Is all fixed and hanging up now .
If everyone who has written in so far would come back and state where they got these paintings, we might figure out where Thomas Lee is from and those new inquires will also tell us where they are from .... please :) :).....also leave your email addresses just in case someone solves this mystery !!! but I''m betting he is from Canada !! fredom18@mac.com
E-mail: fredom18@mac.com
posted 1/19/2011 11:25:00 AM by Samm Ruble

Me too! Very large (5 ft. X 5 ft.) painting of a white persian with green eyes. Purchased in Vancouver, BC in the 70''s by my cousin''s ex-husband as a birthday present to her. Given to me when she cleaned house. First part of signature is difficult to read, appears to be Thomas, but could also be Th_____K Lee (I was thinking it might be an oriental first name).
E-mail: hfisher@dsbca.ca
posted 1/20/2011 12:47:00 PM by Heather Fisher

i have the white horses....i live in australia...so any info found would be great
E-mail: manningr96@yahoo.com.au
posted 2/27/2011 5:50:00 PM by rowena manning

I too have the large cat- purchased by my Mother in Legas some 30+ years ago. Any info would be helpful :)
E-mail: steve@stevezimmerman.com
posted 3/8/2011 8:36:00 PM by Steven Z

I am beginning to wonder if Thomas Lee is not a painter, but what is being signed to some mass production company''s really well-done lobby-art. Too many very similar paintings of different sizes all over the world. I have a 5''x5'' white horses and am just enthralled with it. Hate to say that because would have loved it to be worth something, but...
posted 3/17/2011 7:20:00 AM by michelle

I also have an oil painting signed Thomas Lee . It is a very large oil painting with four woven baskets and one has a plant in it with using a lot of browns, sage colors. I have been trying to findout who this artist is. I love the painting. If anyone has any information on this artist please contact me. Thank you.
E-mail: monicar26@aol.com
posted 3/21/2011 6:01:00 PM by monica

I have the painting of a fence on some sand dunes in black, grey and browns with the silhouette of a lonely bird on the fence....My mum bought it at a shop in Australia in the 70''s. There were loads of the same paintings at the shop. I believe they are mass produced paintings done in the 70''s and were shipped out for sale throughout the world. Similar to what you can buy at a Target store today for example.

posted 3/22/2011 1:57:00 PM by Marisa

I have a huge painting sign by "Thomas Lee, that has 4 baskets, 1 with a plant in it and what looks like a flat woven decoration is the background. It was given to me by a friend about 20 years ago. She told me that she bought it at J.C. Penny''s.
E-mail: mingoblaze@aol.com
posted 3/23/2011 4:30:00 PM by Ann

i am willing to bet that "Thomas Lee" is actually "Thomas Lee Reynolds". Vanguard Studios CA 1950s.
E-mail: luckydragon1953@yahoo.com
posted 3/31/2011 6:29:00 PM by j milton

Hi, I also have the large painting 4x5 feet of the persian cat with green eyes, purchase in Maryland in the 70''s. Would love to know about the artist.
E-mail: lastout@verizon.net
posted 4/10/2011 1:31:00 PM by L Stoutsenberger

I have exactly the same painting as described by "Vanessa", 4''X5'', yellow background, with sunflowers and a very large Monarch butterfly, painted by Thomas Lee. I bought it in Las Vegas in 1973. LOVE the painting, know nothing about the artist, but it seems to be mass produced art work.
E-mail: cbcatani@gmail.com
posted 5/18/2011 7:46:00 AM by claudia catani

i have a 4 ft. by 4 ft. oil painting on canvas of a clown! If anyone has any info. about this guy let me know! Im also researching him so ill return the favior!
thanks!
E-mail: brookshireblake@ymail.com
posted 5/23/2011 1:56:00 PM by blakebrookshire379

My painting sounds exactly like the one mentioned in another post and it is 4 x 5.
The paintings surely sound mass produced. However, it is a stunning canvas.

"I have a huge painting sign by "Thomas Lee, that has 4 baskets, 1 with a plant in it and what looks like a flat woven decoration is the background. It was given to me by a friend about 20 years ago. She told me that she bought it at J.C. Penny''''s. "
E-mail: mingoblaze@aol.com
E-mail: orlando@hotmail.com
posted 6/1/2011 9:30:00 AM by Orlando Florida

I bought the large persian cat painting in 1980 at Capitol Lighting in Edison, NJ. The store clerk said the painter was from California and painted many of this same cat-the way he did it was line up about 10 canvases at a time and first did all the eyes, then the nose, etc. Love love this painting; it has alweays been the focal point of every house I''ve owned!
E-mail: katlicks@aol.com
posted 7/5/2011 12:58:00 AM by jackie

Oh by the way, the painting has a name-it is "Samantha"
E-mail: katlicks@aol.com
posted 7/5/2011 1:02:00 AM by jackie

I also have the same painting as Vanessa. It''s very large and is done in only brown, yellow, and orange. It has yellow flowers and a large monarch. No one seems to know anything about the artist. Mine was given to me by my grandmother who bought it in southern New Jersey.
E-mail: babybritters00@gmail.com
posted 8/2/2011 2:39:00 PM by Brittany

I just found a Thomas Lee at a resale shop. I paid $5 for it. I wouldn''t dream of selling it. It''s in mint condition and is of two owls in a pine tree. I have a fascination with owls so it was a happy day for me when I found this. I have done some research about Thomas Lee and it is odd that there is not much about "him" to be found. I don''t see how something like this can be "mass produced" it truly looks originally handpainted. I have seen a couple on line that were sold for $350 and $700. There is a Persian Cat painting by Thomas Lee for sale on Craig''s List that was listed 8-26-11 opening bid $150. I would love to have another Thomas Lee - but preferably not a cat. Regardless of whether Thomas Lee is a genuine artist or not - I prefer to believe he is. It adds a touch of mystery to the painting - and I just adore it!
E-mail: jldlady@gmail.com
posted 8/29/2011 5:41:00 PM by Jamie Dragoo

I also have a Huge conquistador painting I found at a garage sale a few years back it''s at least 4 ft by 5 ft in a silver wooden frame. It is breath taking and always the main focus of attention when I entertain. I have been offered $500 for it and turned it down. I love it!! I hope someone finds out more about this artist.

Google Huge conquistador painting
Thomas Lee painting

E-mail: Pilipowillie@yahoo.com
posted 11/29/2011 9:46:00 PM by Phillip Williams

I have a 4'' x 5'' painting of a boy and a girl, he is playing a violin slightly behind her, she is playing a viola. The painting is in different shades of browns. I bought it the 80''s in Norman, Oklahoma. Love this stunning painting. I have had several offers for it, but can''t part with it.
E-mail: lucycee076@gmail.com
posted 1/9/2012 9:52:00 PM by Julie

I, too, have a Thomas Lee painting. Its 5ft by 5ft and its a painting of a white with brown spot cocker spaniel and my parents bought from a man on the street for their first apartment after migrating from the Dominican Republic... 30 years later, we still have and it still looks like new, except for a small rip thats cover with tape from playing us playing frisbee and when my brother and I painted the dogs mouth than try to cover it with white out. Other than that, its still fairly new... Everyone in my family want to know about this artist but everytime we put his name in, Tommy Lee pops up.
posted 1/11/2012 11:36:00 PM by Jade

I also have a Thomas Lee painting. It is of two doves snuggling. It is a very warm picture done in cold colors. I have always loved it and know nothing about the artist.Mine was purchased in 1972 at Virginia''s gift shop at Knotts Berry Farm in southern Ca.
E-mail: fariscd@yahoo.com
posted 1/14/2012 4:47:00 PM by Carole Faris

I have the same picture! It''s a large square picture, about 4 ft x 4 ft. That''s a hoot! Just bought it at a garage sale. Somewhere in the above posts someone said they met someone who knew Thomas Lee. Apparently, he would set up several canvases in a row and paint the same picture on each canvas. He is a good artist, but I guess he was in it for the money.
posted 1/17/2012 2:42:00 AM by Doug

I purchased the 5'' by 5'' cat with the green eyes in the 70''s in the bay area in California signed by Thomas Lee. It is still hangng on my wall.
Through out the years I also have tried to find informaton
E-mail: fredsmithcc@sbcglobal.net
posted 1/30/2012 8:51:00 PM by susan

I also have a large Thomas Lee Canvas with a Wharf scene in Brown and red tones.
I think it may be right that these paintings are made at Vanuard Studios, which let students sign the best works Lee Reynolds. Who it to say that other works would not be signed Thomas Lee.
Take a look on the web at some of the Vanguard Paintings the signatures look so much like my Thomas Lee.
posted 3/31/2012 5:19:00 PM by Iris Astrid

I too have the owls in the pine tree. Bought it at a antique store in NYC a couple of years ago for $60. It''s about to be replaced and was looking to sell it. Checked Ebay and some guy is trying to unload the horse painting for $250,000...don''t think he is going to get that kind of dough.
posted 5/7/2012 10:29:00 PM by james mazzullo

wow,i also have a 4'' by 5'' painting of the white persian cat that i got in1976,love to know more about the artist.
E-mail: benpucknat@hotmail.com
posted 5/8/2012 9:06:00 PM by ben

I have a picture I just inherited from my grandmother by Thomas Lee and I also cannot find any info on the artist. It is a simplistic but beautiful oil painting, quite large scale about the size you are depicting of two white cuddling doves. The painting consists mainly of white and cool blues and it looks like they are keeping each other warm in the winter. It is super cute and a beautiful painting! I wish I knew more about it, or knew that I was getting it from my grandmother so I knew to ask her about it before she died :(
E-mail: Tavisurfbabe514@yahoo.com
posted 5/30/2012 3:16:00 AM by Devin

What a great mystery! I too purchased a Thomas Lee but I haven''t seen anyone else describe a painting like I have. It is of 4 skiers coming down a slalom course. It is also 4'' X 5'' on a canvas and is in great condition. I purchased it at an auction. We live near St Louis Mo but are close to a Military Base. There is a good chance it could have come from anywhere!
E-mail: imogenepearl@gmail.com
posted 6/16/2012 10:48:00 PM by Kelli

We also have an oil painting on canvas signed by Thomas Lee. 5x5 of woven southwestern 3 baskets with a plant growing out of one. Its framed beautifully. It was left in our newly purchased home. If anyone interested in the painting please let me know. If not i am going to post on local web site for free. Cant find info on artist and doesn''t go with our decor.
E-mail: crmbrole@yahoo.com
posted 8/19/2012 3:40:00 PM by tish

I just purchased a Thomas Lee painting. 50" wide x 40" tall. Mostly yellows and browns. It shows what appears to be a 1920''s Model T in 3/4 perspective from the rear driver''s side. A man sits in the driver''s seat looking out across a vast desert landscape, a cigar hanging from his mouth.
E-mail: mgaiero@hotmail.com
posted 11/24/2012 12:18:00 AM by Mark

I had a very large oil of race horses painted from an angle as they are coming down the track with 2 vieing for first. This painting has a white background and the horses are done in black and gray shades but each front horse has a bit of color on it. What I particularly loved about this painting was that the 2 front horses looked so very much like 2 colts of ours at the time my husband gave it to me. Tragically, our home burned to the ground this past August and we lost everything. I would luv to purchase another just like it -- does anybody know of one for sale at a reasonable price? Thanks - Mary - Oklahoma
E-mail: mdgarner6@yahoo.com
posted 1/13/2013 6:51:00 PM by Mary Garner

LOOKING TO BUY!!! I am in love with a Thomas Lee painting at my work, they are not willing to sell it. I am willing to purchase the painting of ''a fence with sand dunes, clouds and a seagull''. The painting is primarily brown, tan, white, grey, and black.

Please email me if you have this painting and are willing to sell!
E-mail: kaslayton@gmail.com
posted 2/22/2013 12:40:00 AM by Kristen

After I read all this comments from all the people and from around the country the only thing I can says is this.Thomas lee is a big mystery I have 12/12 signed on 1972 by Thomas lee von bohen-behinig this artist is the same we are talk about it❔
E-mail: hectmartz@hotmail.com
posted 7/21/2013 2:54:00 PM by hector

I have a painting about 5 feet long. A matador with a bull my aunt bought it more than 40 years ago. Its sing by tom lee. Its oil and wood frame. No idea how much its worth.
E-mail: anailarraza74@gmail.com
posted 8/12/2013 10:00:00 PM by ana Cassandra

My mother-in-law has a huge painting signed by Thomas Lee, it depicts three tan woven baskets (two with deep red designs on them). One of the baskets has a green plant growing from it, it also has a woven bowl leaning against the "planting basket". The painting is very textured, and it looks like it could have been painted with acrylic paint. The painting is on canvas. There are no other stamps, signatures, or marks on the painting other then his signature in the bottom right corner on the front. She has had this painting for over 16 years. It was given to her as a gift from her mother-in-law, we are unaware of how long she had it prior, or where she bought it from(I''m assuming somewhere near Chicago) I''ve searched all over the internet for any information about Thomas Lee and have had no success.

It''s a beautiful painting I just wish I could find out more information about it.
Can anyone help?
E-mail: stephwaite143@gmail.com
posted 9/4/2013 8:15:00 PM by Stephanie

I also have one of the cat with the green eyes. I sure would like to sell it cause we are moving to a small condo and not enough room for it. How much should I ask for it.
E-mail: Ositoiv2@gmail.com
posted 11/11/2013 8:29:00 PM by Pegi

I also have a Thomas Lee oil painting . It is 52"x42" picture of a nude girl sitting and doing something with her feet.It is very tastefully done, and shows no inappropriate body parts. Like most others I read, the colors are beige, yellows and black. The frame it is in screams 70''s.I bought this at auction about 20 years ago, and was told it was done by a listed artist. I could never find any info on it, but it has hung in our bedroom since and it is my wifes favorite painting. If anyone ever fiqures this out, please let me know, and I will do the same.
E-mail: bearsfan359@yahoo.com
posted 2/5/2014 12:17:00 PM by Kevin

I purchased a Thomas Lee at a store just off of Trancas Street in Napa Califronia in 1975. It is a 6 foot wide by 5 foot high painting done in oil on canvas. The colors are black, white, brown, yellow, orange and white (common for this artist). This painter brushes his oils directly onto the canvas and signs his work as Thomas Lee.

This Thomas Lee I believe was born in Taipai, schooled in Chicago, and trained in New York City. He is based in Hong Kong and is a filmmaker, photographer, journalist and artist.
E-mail: frankmcbain@comcast.net
posted 4/13/2014 9:02:00 PM by Frank McBain